Professor Schuichi Koizumi
Department of Neuropharmacology
Graduate Medical School, University of Yamanashi, Japan
Plenary talk title:
Remodeling of neuronal networks by glia
Dr Koizumi received his Ph.D. at Kyushu University in 1992 majored in Neuropharmacology. He, and then did his 1st posdoc in the Human Health Science Foundation in Japan (Prof. Inoue), and 2nd posdoc in Cambridge University in UK (Prof. Berridge). In 1999, he got a PI position in National Institute of Health Sciences, Tokyo Japan, and then got a Professor position in 2007 at Department of Neuropharmacology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Yamanashi in Japan. He is now the Vice Dean of Faculty of Medicine in the University, and is also the President of Japanese Society for Neurochemistry.
Dr Koizumi is interested in physiology and pathophysiology of glia-to-neuron interaction and also interested in ATP/purinergic signalling, a pivotal mediator between glia and neurons. The current special interest is to clarify mechanisms underlying glia-mediated synapse formation, elimination and neuronal network remodelling.
- Saito K, Shigetomi E, Yoshida T, Tanaka KF, Ikenaka K, Mikoshiba K, Nakagawa N, Mizuno T and *Koizumi S. (2018) Astrocyte aberrant Ca2+ signals “AxCa” exacerbate the pathological alterations in an Alexander disease model. GLIA.66 (5), 1053-1067.
- Shigetomi E, Hiryamama Y, Ikenaka K, Tanaka KF and *Koizumi S. (2018) Role of Purinergic Receptor P2Y1 in spatiotemporal Ca2+ dynamics in astrocytes. J Neurosci. 38 (6), 1383-1395.
- Morizawa YM, #Hirayama Y, #Ohno N, Shibata S, Shigetomi E, Sui Y, Nabekura J, Sato K, Okajima F, Takebayashi H, K, Okano H and *Koizumi S. (2017) Reactive astrocytes function as a phagocyte after brain ischemia via ABCA1-mediated pathway. Nat Commun, 8, 28.
- Shinozaki Y, Shibata K, Gachet C, Ikenaka K, Tanaka KF, and *Koizumi S. (2017) Transformation of neuroprotective astrocytes by microglia via P2Y1 receptor down-regulation. Cell Report, 19 (6) 1151-1164.
- Kim SK, Hayashi H, Ishikawa T, Shibata K, Shigetomi E, Shinozaki Y, Shinozaki Y, Inada H, Roh SE, Kim SJ, Lee G, Bae H, Moorhouse AJ, Mikoshiba K, *Koizumi S and *Nabekura J. (2016) Cortical astrocytes rewire somatosensory cortical circuits for peripheral neuropathic pain. J Clin Invest, 126, 1983-1997.